Important Dates in History of Varanasi
- 9th cent : First layer of excavation at Rajghat. Till 9th cent. Kashi was an independent estate.
- 8th cent : Birth of Parshavanath, the 23 Jaina Tirthakara.
- 528 : First sermon of the Buddha at Sarnath, "Turning the wheel of Law.
- 5th cent : Sanskrit Grammarian Panini composed the Asthadhayi
- 240 : Great king Ashoka visit
- 2nd cent : King Bharashiva of Naga dynasty performed ten horse sacrifies at Dashashvamedha Ghat
- 3rd cent : Establishment of Sarnath
- 4th cent : Samudragupta performed horse sacrifies at Dashashvamedha Ghat.
- 405 : Fa-Hein (Chinese pilgrim) visit
- 490 : Building of the Vishvanath Temple
- 6th cent: Opening of Jangambadi Math
- 635 : Hsuan-tsang (Chinese pilgrim) visit
- 8th cent : Building of tilabhandeshwara temple by Shankaracharya
- 1133 : City plundered by Ahmed Nialtgin.
- 1114-54 : The reugn of Gahadavala King Govindacandra.
- 1194-97 :Vishvanath Temple and Vishnu Temple demolished by Qutb-uddin Aibak
- 1248 : Invasion by Muhammad Ghori, Shibah-uddin
- 13th : One thousand temples demolished by Alauddin Khilzi
- 1375 : Many temples demolished by Firoz-shah Tughlaq
- 1479-1531 : Vallabhacharya (A great saint of Krishna devotion) lived here.
- 1485-1533 : Chaitnya (A great saint of Krishna devotion) lived here.
- 1494 : The City invaded by Sikandar Lodi.
- 1529 : The city invaded by Mughal king Babur.
- 1532 : The city was visited by Mughal King Humanyu.
- 1532 - 1623 : Tulsi Das ( Great poet of hindi) lived here and composed his
- 1538 : Humanyu took shelter at Sarnath.
- 1567 : Emperor Akbar partly plundered the city, defeated Jaychandra
and king of kashi.
- 1588-89 : As order by king Akbar, Chaukhandi Stupa (Sarnath) was
Construceted by Gobardhan.
- 1623 : Plague in the kashi, Tulshi Das died. Cakrapuskarini
(Manikarnika) kunda was built.
- 1632 : Demolition of temples by Haidar Begh, as ordered by Emperor
- 1669 : Vishvanath temple demolished, as ordered by Emperor
Aurangazeb and converted into mosque.
- 1673 : Vindu Madhava temple,Pancaganga Ghat demolished, as ordered
by Emperor Aurangazeb and converted into mosque.
- 1725 : Establishment of Kashi by Manasa Ram and Annapurna Temple built by Baji Rao Peshva- I.
- 1750 - 1752 : Ramnagar Fort was made.
- 1764 : East India Company control over the city.
- 1777 : Vishvanath Temple was made by Ahilyabai, queen of Indore.
- 1791 - 1794 : Foundation of Sanskrit College.
- 1814 : Gurudham temple was made by Jayanarayan Ghosal, king of Bengal.
- 1818 : Maharani Lakshmibai was born in Peshava Bhavan, Assi.
- 1825 : Kaal Bhairava temple was built by Baji Rao Peshva-II.
1827 : Mirza Ghalib ( Persian poet) visit and stay in city.
- 1839 : Vishvanath temple was gilded by king of Kashmir, Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
- 1841 : Samarajeshvara Shive temple, Lalita ghar was built.
- 1862 : Railway line was built between Varanasi and Mughalsarai.
- 1875 - 1876 : Town Hall, Maidagin was built.
- 1882 : Establishment of Nagiri Pracharini Sabha.
- 1887 : Malviya Bridge, Rajghat ( Rail cum road) on Ganga river was built.
- 1898 : Establishment of Central Hindu School, by Mrs. Anne Basant.
- 1912 : Sarnath, Archaeological Site Museum was opened.
- 1915 : Darbhanga Ghat was built by Rameshwar Singh (King of Bihar).
- 1916 : Establishment of Banaras Hindu University.
- 1928 : Establishment of first theatre at Bansphatak.
- 15-01-1934 : Earthquake at 2:30 PM.
- 1936 : Establishment of Bharat Mata Temple, Vidhyapeeth.
- 15-08-1947 : India became independent.
- 1948 : Flood disaster.
- 1958 : Sanskrit College converted into University.
- 1966 : Establishment of Tulsi Manas temple.
- 1967 : Foundation of Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath.
- 1976 : Foundation of Thai temple, Sarnath.
- 1978 : Flood disaster.
- 1988 : Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath declared as a deemed university.
- 1991 : Establishment of Dharma-Cakra Indo-Japanese Society's temple.
- 1992 : U.P. College declared an autonomous institution.
- 25th Dec 2000: king of Varanasi Dr. Bhivuti Narayan Singh died.
- 07-03-2006 : Serial bomb blast in sankat mochan temple, railways station, gaudauliya. 200 killed.
- 23 Nov, 2007: Bomb blast in Varanasi Court, nine killed and 45 injured
- Jan 2009: Dalai Lala visit (Tibtian Dharma Guru)
- 10-02-2009: Establishment of Tridev Temple by Rani Sati Trust
- 07-12-2010:Bomb blast in Varanasi at Shitala Ghat at 7:35 PM. One dead and 35 injured.